Thursday, June 5, 2008

Saying Goodbye To Diddley Daddy

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - A Tribute To Bo Diddley

This week, we lost an absolute legend. Mr. Bo Diddley, surrounded by the love and warmth of about thirty-five of his closest family members, passed away on Monday at his home in Archer, Florida. I had a set totally prepared for this week, but I had to push it back, as it was more important to honor the memory of a man who had done as much for the blues and rock 'n roll as Elvis, Chuck Berry, or anyone else. Bo was, is, and always will be the man (he even has a song to prove it!), and he deserved all the reverence I could possibly offer. Therefore, I put together, albeit hastily, an impromptu tribute to the man who had given us so much. I had well over two hours of music ready to roll for the show, but halfway in, listening to the voice and guitar that was now echoing from beyond the grave got to be way too heavy, so I pulled it and just closed the night out with some random jams from vinyl I had on hand. Here's the set:

Intro: Robert Johnson – Cross Road Blues

Set 1
Bo Diddley
I’m a Man
You Don’t Love Me (You Don’t Care)
Diddley Daddy
Bring It To Jerome
Who Do You Love
I Can Tell
Mona (I Need You Baby)
Hey! Bo Diddley


First Break - 12:30 AM


Set 2
Pretty Thing
The Clock Strikes Twelve
I’m Bad
Heart-O-Matic Love
500% More Man / 500% More Man
Goin’ Down Slow (w/ Muddy Waters and Howlin’ Wolf) / Super Super Blues Band


Second Break - 1 AM


Set 3
Long Distance Call / Super Super Blues Band
Power House / The Black Gladiator
Shut Up, Woman / The Black Gladiator
Hot Buttered Blues / The Black Gladiator
Say Man
Bo Meets the Monster
Peanut Butter Blues (w/ Anna Moo) / Moochas Gracias


Third Break - 1:30 AM


Set 4
Lightnin’ Hopkins – Jake Head Boogie / V/A The Fifties: Juke Joint Blues
Albert Collins – My Mind Is Tryin’ To Leave Me / Don’t Lose Your Cool
Led Zeppelin – Bron-Y-Aur Stomp / Led Zeppelin III
Otis Rush – So Many Roads / So Many Roads: Live In Concert
Freddie King – Reconsider Baby / The Best of Freddie King


I can only hope I scratched the surface of doing justice to a man whose true impact may never even be realized. He was prolifically talented and above all, he was good. Rest in peace, brother.

Ellas Otha Bates McDaniel
December 30, 1928 - June 2, 2008

Until next week ... stay positive.

Shoeless

0 comments: