Wednesday, June 18, 2008

By the People, For the People

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - More Jams and a Lot of Requests

I have to be honest - I was not particularly excited come studio time this week. Call it a funk, call it what you will, but it's just been one of those weeks where the gray was sort of lurking omnipresently. Regardless, the Crossroads always manages to come through for me somehow, and this week was no exception. After our first show, I noted the power of the communal experience, and how powerful in particular the Crossroads community truly is. I am positive that this is what made the show for me. My mom even stayed up for the show, which, I have to admit, made me really happy. All in all, things did a 180 and ended up awesome. We also had the most requests of any show thus far, so cheers to you guys! I'm hoping buzz will continue to build for the show ... tell all your friends to tune in, and have Tuesday night Crossroads parties. There's nothing like partying on the porch on a hot Georgia summer night with the best-looking girls and rowdiest guys you know, with the sweet sounds of the blues in the background. Here's the set:

Intro: Robert Johnson - Cross Road Blues

T-Model Ford - Sail On / She Ain't None of Your'n [Milo's Request #1]
Alberta Hunter - Stingaree Blues [Milo's Request #2]
Jesse Fuller - I Got a Mind To Ramble / San Francisco Bay Blues [Milo's Request #3]
Jimi Hendrix - Catfish Blues / Blues [Cliff's Pick]
ZZ Top - Dust My Broom / Deguello
Big Bill Broonzy - Key To the Highway / Where the Blues Began, Vol. 2
Ry Cooder - Vigilante Man / Into the Purple Valley

First Break - 12:30 AM

Bobby "Blue" Bland - Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' (But the Blues) / Ask Me 'Bout 'Nothin ...
Robert Johnson - If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day
John Lee Hooker - Down Child / Boogie Chillen'
Fats Domino - Honest Papas Love Their Mamas Better / Fats Is Back [by request, for Mandy, but song choice was for Momma Staps ... thanks for listening!]
Pride & Glory - In My Time of Dyin' / Pride & Glory

Second Break - 1 AM

Jimmy Rogers - Money, Marbles, & Chalk
Henry Thomas - Shanty Blues / Ragtime Texas: The Complete Recorded Works 1927-1929
Cream - Crossroads / Wheels of Fire [by request, for the Hapeville Guy]
Willie Dixon - Third Degree / The Chess Box
Lonnie Johnson - Sundown Blues
B.B. King - 3 O'Clock Blues / From the Beginning
Pinetop Perkins - Rain / Sweet Black Angel

Third Break - 1:30 AM

Elmore James - Something Inside Me / The Complete Fire & Enjoy Recordings
T-Bone Walker - Life Is Too Short / The Complete Imperial Recordings 1950-1954
Mick Jagger and the Red Devils - Still a Fool / The Famous Blues Session
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Blues Medley / Thyrty: The 30th Anniversary Collection

Okay, I know I keep hyping our big three-week supershow, and I know I said it was going to start next week, but we have a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes at the station this week (translation=paperwork), so I'm going to keep it simple and push things back for ONE MORE WEEK - that's it, I promise! If we haven't kicked things off nicely by the week after next, you can fire me and come in and host the show yourselves.

Which was a joke, but it did remind me that Album 88 is hiring new DJ's! If you're a GSU student with a minimum 2.0, stop by room 300 of the Student Center and pick up an application. They're due back by June 20th, so get on it.

More sweet action coming your way ... stay tuned!

Until next week ... stay positive.

Shoeless

0 comments: