Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Can't Stand To See You Go

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - The [Temporary] Farewell Party for Blind John Johnson That He Wasn't Even At

So here's the story, short version: Blind Johnny's spending the summer in Washington, D.C. on business, so he and I knocked out a few shows before he left. Johnny ended up having to hop on an earlier leavin' train than he originally thought, so after putting together a killer set (the first one he's done entirely by himself), he didn't even get to be at the helm to see his baby come to fruition. It is what it is, I suppose. I held it down for him pretty well, though, or so I'd like to think. I even threw in a few little gems of my own ... ever thought you'd see AC/DC in a true blues setlist? Yeah, didn't think so. Here's the set:

Intro: Robert Johnson – Cross Road Blues

Led Zeppelin – Hats Off To (Roy) Harper / Led Zeppelin III [for Cliff ... finally]
Chuck BerryNo Particular Place To Go
Howlin’ Wolf – Sittin’ On Top of the World
Elmore James – Baby, Please Set a Date
Jimmy Reed – Can’t Stand To See You Go
Otis Rush – I Can’t Quit You, Baby / The Complete Cobra Sessions
The Rolling Stones – Prodigal Son / Beggars Banquet
Jimmy McCracklin – Take Care of Yourself


First Break – 12:30 AM


Screamin’ Jay Hawkins – Please Don’t Leave Me
Louisiana Red – Leaving Town
T-Bone Walker – Left Home When I Was a Kid
Walter Horton – Leaving In the Morning
Roosevelt Sykes – The Train Is Coming
AC/DC – Ride On / Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap


Second Break – 1 AM


Charlie Patton – Down the Dirt Road Blues
Mississippi Fred McDowell – The Train I Ride
Clutch – Gravel Road / Robot Hive/Exodus [for Chandler and the boys … told you Clutch ruled!]
Elmore James – Take Me Where You Go
Memphis Slim – I Feel So Good
Down – Where I’m Going / Down II: A Bustle In Your Hedgerow
Screamin’ Jay Hawkins – I Put a Spell On You


Third Break – 1:30 AM


Peetie Wheatstraw – Working on the Project
Charles Brown – Driftin’ Blues
Muddy Waters – Baby, Please Don’t Go
Cecil Gant – I’ll Remember You
B.B. King – Baby Get Lost / Blues Is King
Elmore James – One Way Out
The Black Keys – Grown So Ugly / Rubber Factory

Hope you guys enjoyed it. The next two weeks will more than likely just be us kicking out the jams at random as we get geared up for some really, unbelievably mind-blowing stuff. Seriously, stay tuned ... we're talking multi-week themed show arcs. More on that to come. You really don't want to miss what we've got in store for this summer. I know that sounds like the standard fare of your average hypeman, but I'm serious - this is the pinnacle of creativity, of blues, and of my musical experience. It's going to be a hot summer if there ever was one. I can't divulge any details just yet, but we should be announcing something pretty soon. Stay tuned.

Just a couple housekeeping things really quick. First, in the tradition of my being a fan of collectives and revolving-door collaborations, I want to introduce another bluesman who'll be coming into the fold and hangin' around from time to time, "Chillin'" Willie James Chill. He's done a great job already in Blind's absence, and I look forward to his continued impact. Great and different things come from great and different minds. Also, Chill started a MySpace account for our show, so you can find us here. It's sort of the same idea as this blog, only you can add us as a friend over there, and check out other awesome WRAS shows on our Top Friends. Put us on your Top Friends (as adolescent as that sounds)!

Until next week ... stay positive.

Shoeless Kay Staps

1 comments:

shAdy said...

Oww! You guys are introducing a new generation to the Blues! Keep up the good work!