Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Jammin' With the King

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - B.B. King's One Kind Favor Album Release Celebration

This show was probably my favorite so far ... B.B. King is a mutual favorite of Johnny's and mine, so it only made sense to celebrate his first studio release since 2000's Riding With the King (to my knowledge, anyway, and not counting 80, the duets album released in 2005 to commemorate the King's 80th birthday). Once I heard B.B. was releasing a new album, I was chomping at the bit. Then I read that T-Bone Burnett was at the helm of this record ... and there was no question I was getting it. And to top all that off, it was a record that was going to try and capture that raw, undeniable, early 50's B.B. vibe? Come on. You'd have to be a fool not to want it. I stayed up until midnight on Monday night and bought it the second the iTunes store refreshed and it became available. See? We're fans first here at the Crossroads. The show turned out to be such a blast, and everyone seemed to really enjoy having an evening with the King as much as we did ... which makes me smile. Even Ms. Scarlett O'Sara of Cowtipper's Delight (the show on before ours) graciously drew the curtain on her show thirty minutes early so as to allow us extra time, which certainly gave a more "King-size" vibe to the evening. So when you see "Fourth Break," it's not a typo - the evening was truly that special, running from 11:30 (instead of the usual midnight) until 2.

Obviously, all songs from last night's set were by the one and only king of the blues, so I don't need to type the artist next to every song title. Other performers are noted in parentheses. Here's the set:

Intro

[All tracks from the first two sets are the new album, One Kind Favor, almost in its entirety. We didn't get to the last track "Tomorrow Night" or any of the bonus tracks that came with the version I bought on iTunes. Judging by the response to the album, I'm sure we'll be playing them soon, though, so no worries.]

See That My Grave Is Kept Clean
I Get So Weary
Get These Blues Off of Me
How Many More Years
Waiting For Your Call

First Break

My Love Is Down
The World Is Gone Wrong
Blues Before Sunrise
Midnight Blues
Backwater Blues
Sitting On Top of the World

Second Break

Forty Days and Forty Nights (with the Muddy Waters Blues Band) / Live At Ebbets Field (1973) [Cliff's Pick]
My Sweet Little Baby (with the Muddy Waters Blues Band) / Live At Ebbets Field
Driftin' Blues (with Bobby "Blue" Bland) / ... Together For the First Time ... Live! (1974)
I'll Take Care of You (with Bobby "Blue" Bland) / ... Together For the First Time ... Live!
Don't Answer the Door / Back In the Alley (1970)

Third Break

You Done Lost Your Good Thing Now / Live At the Regal (1965)
Worry, Worry / Live At the Regal
3 O'Clock Blues / Singin' the Blues (1957)
Please Love Me / Singin' the Blues
Chains and Things / Indianola Mississippi Seeds (1970)

Fourth Break

Fool / Wails (1960)
Ten Long Years (with Eric Clapton) / Riding With the King (2000)
When I'm Wrong / Now Appearing At Ole Miss (1980)
Blues With B.B. / Spotlight on Lucille (ca. 1960)

It was a pleasure. Send us your requests for next week! Until then ... stay positive.

Shoeless

0 comments: