Thursday, February 5, 2009

Solo Flytes

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 - Blind John Goes It Alone Again / As Free As a Bird

This week we mourned the passing of one of the finest blues pianists never to be truly recognized as such. With that, Shoeless's favorite band is down one more original member, with only two surviving, and only one remaining in the current touring lineup. Rest in peace, Billy Powell ... Freebird will never sound the same without you.

Intro
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird (Live at the Fox) / One More From the Road
Willie Dixon and the Big Three Trio - 88 Boogie / The Big Three Trio
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - She Put the Wammee On Me / Screamin' the Blues

First Break

Robert Junior Lockwood - Dust My Broom / Delta Crossroads [for Jason of STONERIDER]
Howlin' Wolf - Little Red Rooster / The London Sessions
Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A-Comin' (Acoustic) / Blues [by request]
Lightnin' Hopkins - Hello Central (Give Me Central) / Hello Central: The Best of Lightnin' Hopkins
Fats Domino - What a Price / Be My Guest
Blind Boy Fuller - Big Leg Woman Gets My Pay / East Coast Piedmont Style
B.B. King - I've Always Been Lonely / Take It Home

Second Break

ZZ Top - Blue Jean Blues / Fandango!
Janis Joplin - One Good Man / I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama!
Louisiana Red - Freight Train/Where Is My Friend? / Louisiana Red Sings the Blues
Buddy Guy - Don't Answer the Door / Live at the Checkerboard Lounge, Chicago 1979
Sonny Boy Williamson II - Born Blind / Nine Below Zero

Third Break

Bobby "Blue" Bland - Fever / Ask Me 'Bout Nothing (But the Blues)
Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Guess Who / Blues Shouter
Robert Nighthawk and Forrest City Joe - Lonesome Day Blues / Robert Nighthawk and Forrest City Joe
Muddy Waters - I Love the Life I Live, I Live the Life I Love / Muddy Waters: The Essential Blues Collection
Mance Lipscomb - Alabama Jubilee / Songster
Little Richard - Keep-a Knockin' / Long Tall Sally
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me the Breeze / Second Helping [for the "Jeff Beck Guy"]
Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - Mean Old Frisco Blues / Rock Me Mama


William Norris Powell
June 3, 1952 - January 28, 2009

0 comments: