Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Prepare To Be Dazzled

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - "If I Can't Dazzle You With Brilliance, I'll Baffle You With B.S."

I honestly wish we could share with you all the magic we experience while in the studio. It's always a rollicking good time just between the two of us bantering, playing air guitar, and bemoaning the fact that we haven't slept in four days, but the addition of friends, fellow WRAScals, and callers aplenty (some odder than others) all combine for an absolutely, insatiably joyful time to be had by all, especially Johnny and I. The aforementioned quote is from Pappy Mahan, a regular caller and extended member of our 'Roads family. We were so delirious by the time he called that I laughed (hysterically) at his (highly quotable) antics. His call was one among many that we received last night - the phone was ringing off the hook with requests (some of which I have yet to fill amidst all our scrambling, but I will get to) and all sorts of fun, friendliness, and conversation. I said it after our first show and it still holds true: the communal experience here is absolutely unparalleled. The Crossroads and WRAS communities are truly, truly something to behold. That said, thank you again, and I can't wait for next week. I know Johnny feels the same ... I just hope he survives his grueling schedule. It's a tough life when you're Blind John Johnson. The work just never ends. Here's the set:

Intro
The Amboy Dukes - Baby Please Don't Go / The Amboy Dukes
Sonny Boy Williamson II - Lonesome Cabin / Nine Below Zero
Mark Lanegan - On Jesus' Program / I'll Take Care of You
Robert Nighthawk - The Moon Is Rising / Bricks In My Pillow
Whispering Smith - I Don't Need No Woman / Over Easy
R.L. Burnside - Peaches / First Recordings [for our main man Bryce ... we <3 QCS]
Muddy Waters - Iodine In My Coffee / Audio Archives (Collector's Edition) [Cliff's Pick]

First Break

The Black Keys - Countdown / The Big Come Up
Champion Jack Dupree - Bad Whisky and Bad Women / Junker's Blues
Five Horse Johnson - So Low / Fat Black Pussy Cat
Elmore James - Person To Person / Dust My Broom
Tom Waits - Black Market Baby / Mule Variations [for Jeff]
Led Zeppelin - I Can't Quit You Baby / Led Zeppelin I [for that guy who called in and asked who performed this song ... these guys did it fairly well, I'd say ...]
Memphis Slim - Big Bertha / Volume II

Second Break

James Cotton - Coast Blues / Cut You Loose!
Luther Allison - Bad News Is Coming / Bad News Is Coming
JJ Grey and Mofro - She Don't Know / Orange Blossom
Mississippi Joe Callicott - Come Home To Me Baby / Ain't a Gonna Lie To You
The Allman Brothers Band - Stormy Monday / At Fillmore East

Third Break

Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup - Crazy House Blues / Crudup's Mood
The Yardbirds - Smokestack Lightning (Live) / The Very Best Of [for Lincoln]
John Lee Hooker - Bluebird / Free Beer and Chicken
B.B. King - Lucille / Lucille

Again, thanks for tuning in! See you next week. Until then, stay positive.

Shoeless

0 comments: